Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Inheritance Book Review... SPOILER ALERT

So I finally finished Inheritance by Christopher Paolini last night! It was about 802 pages on my nook, so it took me a long time to finish, but finish I did. I started reading it in 2011 when it came out, and I skim read some important parts that I had been dying to know what was going to happen (a weakness of mine). But I had yet to read it all the way through until last night. I read a lot more last year, and finished by reading probably the majority of it this summer (at least the most in one sitting).

**Warning, there will be spoilers in this review, so if you haven't read this book or the series yet, you might not want to continue reading. **



Inheritance  is the last book in the Inheritance Cycle, which started with Eragon and included Eldest, and Brisingr. This has been a favorite series of mine since I started reading it when I was about 13 or 14, about the time the Eragon movie came out. By then both Eragon and Eldest were out, so I didn't have to wait to read those two.  I then anxiously anticipated Brisingr's and Inheritance's releases. I was captivated by this world of Alagaesia and it's always been a favorite summer read for me.

To sum up the story of the series, there's this young boy named Eragon who finds a dragon egg in the woods, which later hatches for him. He names the dragon Saphira, and learns that he's the first dragon rider since the evil king Galbatorix destroyed the old order of dragon riders, who had long kept the peace in the land. Now the tyrannical king is ruling Alagaesia and Eragon is the only hope of defeating him. Chased by the evil king's servants, Eragon and Saphira are trained in the art of the dragon riders, and join the Varden (a rebel group opposing the king) and work towards the final confrontation with Galbatorix.

Now, in the final volume, the final confrontation begins to, and does, take place. Here's a list of things I DO like about the book, and the series as a whole:

1. It's realistic, and very detailed. The detail gives the book a sense of realism and it really brings the characters, places, and events to life.

2. The characters, and character development. They each develop and change so much throughout the series, and it's really fun and emotional to see them change. You care about them.

3. The story. It's an epic story, with a lot of good depth, and I love this story.

4. The way the novel has a sense of closure. There's been a lot of complaints about how after Galbatorix is defeated, the novel drags on a lot longer. To me, this does make sense. The story doesn't just end when Galbatorix is gone. They just went through a long war, not to mention the rule of Galbatorix for decades previously. He's inflicted a lot of damage that needs repairing, and I like how Paolini goes on to show how they start repairing and dealing with the damage, and rebuilding Alagaesia. I also appreciate Eragon and Saphira's lack of identity after defeating Galbatorix. They've been working so long and hard trying to defeat him, and when they do, they sort of go into an identity crisis, and in Eragon's case, a depression in a way. It's this identity crisis that I think helps lead him to really think and realize what he needs to do to raise the next generation of riders--leaving Alagaesia. He's done his duty, and he's ready to move on to rebuild.

5. The vault of souls. Ok, this was EPIC, amazing, and unexpected. I'll admit, I predicted the vault of souls would hold Eldunari, but I didn't predict all the dragon eggs! And I definitely didn't predict the whole backstory of the vault of souls, with the riders anticipating their fall and trying to preserve the dragon race. And again, I definitely didn't predict that the Eldunari had been helping Eragon the entire time throughout the series--from his dream of Arya, to healing his back, to guiding Solembum to give Eragon that prediction in Teirm, and leading him to Vroengard in the end. Awesome! I love unexpected huge plot lines in the end of a book series like that!

6. The final battle and the defeat of Galbatorix. Very epic--if not a little rushed. But I must say, the Varden took Uru'baen in less than a day, so pretty impressive if you ask me. Galbatorix and Shruikan were as intimidating, if not more so, than I anticipated. They were so over-confident that he was just lounging on his throne while Shruikan was half-asleep behind him. I expected more of Shruikan--it didn't seem like he put up much of a fight, but Galbatorix's powers were scary. Especially finding out he knew the name of the ancient language (didn't see that coming) and could control other's magic because of it--not to mention all his Eldunari and power of speech. Lord Barst and his secret Eldunari was intimidating, but go Roran! He used his brain more than military strength to figure out he had an Eldunari, and was successful in defeating Barst. Shruikan was SCARY but not too hard to beat with Saphira, Thorn, and Arya fighting him together. I loved that Eragon, Saphira, Murtagh, and Thorn all worked together in the end. Go Murtagh! But my biggest applause goes to Eragon, who thought up the most unexpected and awesome way to defeat Galbatorix right when he was about to be defeated by him--the empathy spell. Actually, one of the greatest ways I've ever read to defeat a bad guy in a book--make him feel all the pain he's caused. It was so strong that Galbatorix couldn't even fight Eragon and then committed suicide--which we got a hint of earlier with the elf rider from Vroengard's story.

7. The romance of Murtagh and Nasuada. I did predict it would happen eventually. Actually really cute, but also really sad. I hope they can get together one day.

8. Arya becoming a rider, and queen, and Firnen hatching. YES!

9. Eragon and Arya's one little romantic moment in the whole series, while watching their dragons meet for the first time.

Ok and some things I didn't like:

1. The ENDING. Although I can appreciate the ending, I don't like it. It's got the Lord of the Rings sad type ending. I mean, all the main characters live, but then the two main characters go away FOREVER! Eragon and Saphira sail away from Alagaesia to train the riders. Ok, I get that part. What I don't get is why they can't come back to visit from time to time. Eragon's excuse was "Oh, Angela predicted I won't come back, so I won't". Really?! So WHAT if she said that, since when is your future all laid out for you? What's the point of living life if you already know what's going to happen? GRRRRR. Yes I'm mad about that ending.

2. Eragon and Arya's romance. So ANTICLIMATIC. Paolini has been building up the anticipation of them getting together, and right when it hinted that they really might eventually, he seperates them. Although it is hinted, especially in the author's note at the end and in interviews, that the story will continue on. Maybe Arya and Firnen will go to Eragon and Saphira later on, and maybe then they will end up together. But the fact it didn't really happen in this book is frustrating. And Arya's final good-bye to Eragon?! "Farewell Eragon Shadeslayer"? Too stereo-typically in-character for her. She finally let her defenses down and starts to admit she has feelings for him, but at her final good-bye she's all formal again. GRRR. Why couldn't she just kiss him already, or at least hug him?

3. Murtagh and Thorn's disappearance. They just GO AWAY, and that's the last we see of them in the series. He abandoned Nasuada. But at least he made up with Eragon again. After Eragon and Saphira chased after them.

4. The many unanswered questions still hanging for us as readers. Who's Angela really? Especially after the big role she played in this book, we're left with nothing about her. Who's the soothsayer? Angela? Why doesn't Eragon and the other's try to fix Vroengard? It doesn't really explain it too well. Who are the people on Vroengard? It is mentioned in the author's note that the story isn't finished, and Paolini said that he will work on a fith stand alone book in the future. Will it answer these questions? Hopefully, because if not then that's a disappointment and a big NO for authors to do. But Paolini has yet to not answer questions in his books, so I'm sure they will be in the future. I've even already thought of doing something similiar in my book without realizing it earlier. Unanswered questions from a skilled writer probably means the story really will be continued later on.

Well, overall I loved the book and the characters and the story. The series is a must-read, but this book I give a 4 out of 5 stars. Still a must read!

In the words of Christopher Paolini's elves:

Mor'ranr lifa unin hjart onr
(peace live in your heart)

No comments:

Post a Comment